See our hardworking YouthBuild participants in action by checking out our photo gallery!
Newport News YouthBuild
Volunteers of America Chesapeake & Carolinas' Newport News YouthBuild program provides young people ages 16-24 the education and hands-on training they need for in-demand careers.
Newport News YouthBuild (NNYB) is a program supported by Volunteers of America Chesapeake & Carolinas (VOACC), the City of Newport News, VA., The Department of Labor (DOL), and YouthBuild USA. The program is at the Four Oaks Day Service Center at 7401 Warwick Blvd. in Newport News. Through the YouthBuild program, young people acquire the skills they need to obtain a great job and keep it.
The program is designed to engage young people ages 16-24 in construction classroom/hands-on training sessions, education and occupational training, leadership development, community service learning, job readiness including digital and financial literacy along with career and education exploration.
YouthBuild participants earn money while they get valuable hands-on experience building quality houses. They will gain work-based education including vocational and basic academic skills training that leads to industry-recognized credentials, employment placement, or apprenticeships, and prepare them for post-secondary education programs. The program lasts six months with follow-up supportive services for the period of one year.
Why Should YOU Apply?
Our YouthBuild program offers an education and construction training program consisting of:
- Construction training for young adults
- Apprenticeship opportunities
- Skills and basic education towards completing a GED
- Industry-Recognized Credentialing
- Community Service and Leadership Development opportunities
- Job placement or continuing education upon program completion
- Be a Newport News resident (priority is given to those who live in ZIP code 23607)
- Be 16-24 years old
- In need of a high school equivalency certificate
- In need of vocational/occupational training opportunities
- In need of continuing education for high school graduates
How to Apply
- Learn more or schedule a VIRTUAL TOUR, by contacting YouthBuild Director, Daniel Carrera.
- Phone: 757-386-5922 or 757.386.6113
In the News
January 1, 2021
YouthBuild Daily Press
December 4, 2020
Newport News Now
November 23, 2020
VA Peninsula Media
November 23, 2020