Helping place justice-involved youth on pathways to success
Second Chances is designed to assist justice-involved youth (males and females ages of 10 - 20) return from the juvenile justice system and successfully transition home. The program offers a variety of support services that lead to economic and social stability and healthy lifestyles.
The program serves youth in the Newport News Juvenile Detention Center (NNJDC) Post Dispositional Program who struggle with employment, housing, mental illness, substance use disorders, and other barriers to their success.
Eligible participants must be between the ages of 10 and 20 and cannot have been committed to the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) within the last 18 months. They cannot have been previously or currently adjudicated of a violent juvenile felony or found guilty of a violent juvenile felony.
- Social Services Supports
- Vocational & Life Skill Supports
- Academic Supports
- Mentorship & Peer Supports
- Vocational & Employment Supports
- Youth Work Force Center - partnership provides eligible youth access to training and employment resources under the Workforce Innovative Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Newport News Public Schools – partnership helps to enroll youth in traditional or non-traditional school.
- Peninsula Regional Education Program (PREP) - partnership offers instruction in basic skills, GED certification, English language learning, and workforce training to prepare youth for college, careers, and citizenship.
- Four Oaks Day Training Center - partnership helps individuals transition out of homelessness into employment, stable housing and independence.
- Heart of Giving - partnership connects individuals and families to additional resources to bridge the gap in their needs through community giving.
- Breeden Construction – partnership provides youth employment opportunities with Breeden or their sub-contractors.
- Bay Electric - partnership provides youth enrolled in Second Chances program apprenticeship training and on-the-job training after completing pre-apprenticeship training.
Four Oaks Day Training Center
7401 Warwick Blvd
Newport News, VA 23607
Brooks Crossing Innovation Center
550 E. 30th Street
Newport News, Virginia 23607
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm